Tallahassee is the city of the seven hills. Today, they host a rehabilitation center, a surgery center, a nursing home, a security company, a property management office, and a private school named after this seven hills reference. This can be quite confusing to most since the majority of Florida is rather flat.
A map from 1885 would provide the origin of this name. According to the map it shows downtown Tallahassee as being on a single hill with seven major arteries leading into the city.
In order to arrive in Tallahassee from any direction, you would have had to travel up a hill. There are seven locations in Tallahassee that are considered the highest elevations and they are …
1. Goodwood Museum & Gardens – elevation of 212 feet
2. Old Fort Park – elevation of 212 feet
3. Mission San Luis – elevation of 208 feet
4. Old Capitol – elevation of 207 feet
5. The Grove Plantation – elevation 204 feet
6. FAMU (Lee Hall) – elevation 192 feet
7. FSU’s Westcott Hall – elevation 176 feet
Why not pick a wonderful autumn day in November and go out exploring and see these locations for yourself?! With our temperatures decreasing, now would be a wonderful time to make it happen.
Stay classy, Tallahassee!